The four series below contain the journals for the current South Carolina United Methodist Annual Conference as well as three of its predecessors. The earliest South Carolina Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church dates to 1785. In 1846, the South Carolina Conference (1785) became part of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. Following the Civil War, a new Methodist Episcopal Church was organized by northern Methodist missionaries, and it became the conference of Black South Carolina Methodists. The journals of this Conference are part of the South Carolina Conference (1866( series. In 1915, the Upper South Carolina Conference split from the South Carolina Conference (1785) and remained a separate organization until after 1947. National trends within Methodism saw the movement toward merger of the two conferences, 1785 and 1866, in the late 1960s. In 1972, these two conferences merged into a new South Carolina Annual Conference. Its journals form the current series.