The South Carolina Annual Conference dates to 1785, and is one of the older conferences in American Methodism. Until 1830, all of South Carolina as well as all of Georgia and some of southern North Carolina were part of the conference. Between 1830 and 1870, churches in the North Carolina counties bordering South Carolina remained part of the South Carolina Conference. After 1870, the state lines were generally the conference boundaries. Between 1915 and 1947, churches in the counties generally north and west of Columbia were part of the Upper South Carolina Conference. From 1866 to 1972, White and Black Methodists were part of different conferences, but in 1972, the 1785 and 1866 conferences merged into a new South Carolina Conference. Those journals are all in separate series.