Creator

James A. Neal

Preview

image preview

Location

Dick Pond Road, Socastee

City

Socastee

County

Horry

Date of Founding

1818

Date of Photograph

1-1-2014

Description

This church, originating with services held in a brush arbor, was formally organized by 1818. Its first sanctuary, a log building, was built here soon afterward on land donated by Philip Elkes. The cemetery, dating from the 19th century, includes the plots of the Clardy, Cooper, Elkes, Hucks, Macklen, Outlaw, Sarvis, Stalvey and other early church families. The second sanctuary, a frame building featuring a large portico and square columns, was built in 1875 by W.T. Goldfinch of Conway. Sunday School rooms were added in 1933, and the church was extensively remodeled and enlarged in the 1950s, with work completed in 1957. The present sanctuary was built in 1987. Source: SCDAH

Source

SC Department of Archives and History

Rights

Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 4.0 License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 4.0 License

Share

COinS