Creator

James A. Neal

Preview

image preview

Location

SC Highway 37, Woodrow

City

Woodrow

County

Lee

Date of Founding

1785

Date of Photograph

1-1-2014

Description

One of the earliest Methodist congregations in South Carolina was located in the community around Rembert Church, with a Methodist Society meeting as early as 1785. In its early days, it was frequently visited by Francis Asbury, the first Bishop of the Methodist Church of the United States. It was also important for the camp meetings that were held nearby, starting in 1802 and 1803. The cemetery here was established in 1800, and the present meeting house-style church was erected ca. 1835. Structurally a plain rectangular building with clapboard siding, such design affords only the essentials needed for worship. It sits on brick piers and has a gabled, metal roof. The windows are 20/20 with two smaller windows above the main ones on the front façade. The Rembert Church building served the rural Methodist congregation (with an 1850s enrollment of some 80 whites and 500 slaves) for over a century. This structure remains as an example of the small church so important to nearly every aspect of life in the rural South during the growth and development of South Carolina. Source: NRHP

Source

National Register of Historic Places

Rights

Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 4.0 License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 4.0 License

Share

COinS