Creator

James A. Neal

Preview

image preview

Location

NW corner of Road 647 and Road 17 NE of Bennettsville

City

Bennettsville

County

Marlboro

Date of Founding

1783

Date of Photograph

1-1-2014

Description

Here stood the first Methodist church of Marlboro County, a single log cabin built in 1783. Here Bishop Francis Asbury presided over and preached at an early Quarterly Conference, held on February 23, 1788. Camp meetings were held here from 1810 to 1842. In 1883, the church was moved to another site, also called Beauty Spot, 2 miles eastward. Source: SCDAH; Marlboro County Historic Preservation Commission - 1974

Source

SC Department of Archives and History

Rights

Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 4.0 License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 4.0 License

Share

COinS