Creator

James A. Neal

Preview

image preview

Location

1005 College Street, Newberry

City

Newberry

County

Newberry

Date of Founding

1832

Date of Photograph

1-1-2014

Description

Included in the Newberry Historic District, this Revival-style edifice was designed by famed architect Reuben Harrison Hunt of Chattanooga, Tenn., and constructed by C.C. (Cam) Davis at a cost of $12,000. The church commands a full city block. The asymmetrical building rises from a lower façade of natural granite to white brick facing its left one-story turret, recessed center and right three-story square bell tower. Granite is also used to arch the triple arcade of the central block, the bell tower’s three stained-glass windows and the central front large stained-glass window. Terra cotta belt courses encircle the bell tower below and above two narrow arched windows on the second floor. The belfry displays, on each elevation, four narrow arched openings below a tiled pyramidal roof with corner tiled pinnacles. Additions to the church since 1930 extend the rear and right rear of the building. Source: NRHP

Source

National Register of Historic Places

Rights

Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 4.0 License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 4.0 License

Share

COinS