Creator

James A. Neal

Preview

image preview

Location

Walhalla

City

Walhalla

County

Oconee

Date of Founding

1860

Date of Photograph

1-1-2014

Description

Trinity was founded in the 1860s as the only worship center for African Americans in the Walhalla area. Tradition has it beginning as a brush arbor at a location known as Twin Pines. Rev. James Rosemond is credited with Trinity’s founding. It was recognized as an extension ministry of the Mount Vernon Epworth League of the Ohio Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church. For many years, Trinity housed the only school for African Americans in the Walhalla School District. It was the home church of Rev. Granville Hicks, a leading member of the South Carolina Annual Conference for many years and the first appointment of the late Bishop Joseph B. Bethea. Placed on the list of UMC Historic Sites in 2004. (Trinity was recently sold to a Hispanic church and is no longer an active UMC congregation.) Source: UMC

Source

United Methodist Historic Site

Rights

Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 4.0 License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 4.0 License

Share

COinS