Creator

James A. Neal

Preview

image preview

Location

705 Target Road, Holly Hill

City

Holly Hill

County

Orangeburg

Date of Founding

1800

Date of Photograph

1-1-2014

Description

This church, founded about 1800, is one of the oldest Methodist congregations in this part of the state. It takes its name from Target Branch, a nearby tributary of Four Holes Swamp. The name “Target” is thought to be a corruption of the “tar gates” along the edges of the swamp, where tar, turpentine, and timber were harvested. It held its first services in a brush arbor, with a sycamore stump for a pulpit. Target Methodist Church was one of several area congregations long served by circuit riders, on the Cypress Circuit (1810-1855), then on the Providence Circuit (1855-1916). Its first permanent church, a log building, was rebuilt as a frame sanctuary in 1830. A second frame church built in 1873 was replaced by the present sanctuary in 1920. The cemetery here includes graves dating as early as 1820. Source SCDAH

Source

SC Department of Archives and History

Rights

Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 4.0 License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 4.0 License

Share

COinS