Creator

James A. Neal

Preview

image preview

Location

Highway 301, Orangeburg

City

Orangeburg

County

Orangeburg

Date of Founding

1843

Date of Photograph

1-1-2014

Description

Zion is located 5 miles south of Orangeburg on U.S. Highway 301. It is believed to be one of the earliest Methodist churches in the area. The original building was constructed before the Civil War and replaced in the 1880s. In about 1843, appointed ministers replaced circuit riders. Early in the 1930s, Zion was abandoned as a full-time church when its members moved to nearby Cope and Orangeburg. Source: SCDAH

Source

SC Department of Archives and History

Rights

Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 4.0 License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 4.0 License

Share

COinS