Creator

James A. Neal

Preview

image preview

Location

Whaley Street, Columbia

City

Columbia

County

Richland

Date of Founding

1896

Date of Photograph

1-1-2014

Description

Whaley Street UMC is part of the Granby Mill Village Historic District. It was the first church erected in the Mill Village and was originally named Granby Church. It was built in 1897 at a cost of $1,500 on the northeast corner of Whaley and Church Streets adjacent to the Company Store building. The congregation was organized in 1896 at the home of Raford Smith. In 1903, a new church building was erected on the same site. The design of the church represents finely crafted examples of the Gothic Revival style denoted by pointed arched windows, crenellated parapets and a buttressed tower caped by a slate-roof spire. Source: NRHP

Source

National Register of Historic Places

Rights

Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 4.0 License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 4.0 License

Share

COinS