Creator

James A. Neal

Preview

image preview

Location

Milwee Creek Road (off U.S. Highway 76 at Sandy Springs), near Sandy Springs United Methodist Church

City

Sandy Springs

County

Anderson

Date of Founding

1828

Date of Photograph

1-1-2014

Description

This Methodist campground, named for the large spring nearby, dates to 1828, when a 15-acre site was purchased from Sampson Pope for $45. Early meetings were under a brush arbor until a central wooden shelter and cabins were built about 1838. Entire families participated in revival meetings, held here for two weeks every September until the last camp meeting in 1897. Source: SCDAH

Source

SC Department of Archives and History

Rights

Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 4.0 License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 4.0 License

Share

COinS