Creator

James A. Neal

Preview

image preview

Location

130 Loring Mill Road, Sumter

City

Sumter

County

Sumter

Date of Founding

1873

Date of Photograph

1-1-2014

Description

This church, with its origin in a brush arbor where services were held during the Civil War, was formally organized in 1873 with a Rev. B. James as its first pastor. Col. James D. Blanding sold the trustees a small parcel to build their first permanent church, a frame building; church trustees bought additional acreage in 1883. The first Mt. Zion Methodist Church burned in 1913. The present church, also a frame building, replaced the first church. The cornerstone was laid in 1914; later renovations included the application of brick veneer in the 1980s. Rev. Isaiah DeQuincey Newman (1911-1985), who was pastor of Mt. Zion from 1975 to 1982, was a civil rights activist and state senator (1983-1985) and the first African American in the S.C. State Senate since 1886. Source: SCDAH

Source

SC Department of Archives and History

Rights

Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 4.0 License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 4.0 License

Share

COinS