Creator

James A. Neal

Preview

image preview

Location

Church Street, Union

City

Union

County

Union

Date of Founding

1872

Date of Photograph

1-1-2014

Description

Grace United Methodist Church is a large stone Gothic-Revival church building with a two-story educational building and a cemetery. The church was initially constructed in 1872, with James Grant as builder and Col. John L. Young as architect-engineer. Photographs depict this early building as a symmetrical stone church with a central entrance tower and a flanking bell tower on the northwest corner of the nave. The church was substantially enlarged in 1917-1919; Casey & Fant of Anderson, S.C., served as architects and J.M. Crawford as contractor for this enlargement that gave the building its present shape. Grace has a steep gabled rood and a buttressed nave. A low narthex on the west elevation replaces the original entrance tower; a large tracer window rises above the narthex. The tower on the northwest corner of the façade retains its original lower stage; the upper stage was built in 1917-1919, replacing the original spire. The two-story stone educational building on the south side of the church has windows grouped under stone label-molds, and stone coping matching that of the church building. The church cemetery is located to the north of the building. Source: NRHP

Source

National Register of Historic Places

Rights

Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 4.0 License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 4.0 License

Share

COinS