2000 Cades Road, Cades
Date of Founding
Date of Photograph
Cooper’s Academy, built in 1905-06, was a private boarding school for the black children of this community until 1927, and a public school from 1927 to 1958. Founded by Moses Cooper, H.J. Cooper, and Ada E. Martin, it was first called Cooper’s Academy, Normal and Industrial Institute for Colored Youth. The school closed in 1958 when black schools at Battery Park and Cades were consolidated.
SC Department of Archives and History
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 4.0 License