Creator

James A. Neal

Preview

image preview

Location

3168 Santee Road, Suttons

City

Suttons

County

Williamsburg

Date of Founding

1825

Date of Photograph

1-1-2014

Description

Founded in 1825, Suttons is the second-oldest Methodist congregation in Williamsburg County. That year, Robert Sutton gave the “Methodist Society” of this community a parcel 100-yards square. Its first church, a frame building, was sometimes known as “Sutton’s Meeting House.” It appears in Robert Mills’ Atlas of South Carolina, published in 1825, as “Suttons M.H.” Suttons Methodist Church also hosted several annual camp meetings between 1825 and 1860. The second church, a frame building, was completed in 1884. The present brick sanctuary was built in 1953. The cemetery, established in the first half of the 19th century, includes the plots of many early church families. Source: SCDAH

Source

SC Department of Archives and History

Rights

Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 4.0 License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 4.0 License

Share

COinS