Creator

James A. Neal

Preview

image preview

Location

Old Salem Road (at its junction with Juniper Creek Road), Govan

City

Govan

County

Bamberg

Date of Founding

1818

Date of Photograph

1-1-2014

Description

This church, founded by 1818, held its early services in a brush arbor; the first permanent sanctuary was built nearby. In 1848, Capt. J.D. Allen sold this four-acre site to the trustees for $1.00. The present church, built soon afterward, has been renovated several times. The cemetery dates from 1856; its first burials were young children of Henry and Mary Ann Hartzog. Four members of the church later became ministers: Revs. Charles Wilson (1802-1873), Jeremiah W. Collins (1824-1880), Holland Nimmons McTyeire (1824-1889), and B.T. Huggins (1922-2008). McTyeire, born on a farm nearby, was a Methodist bishop from 1866 until his death, but he is best known as the father of Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tenn., which he founded in 1873. Source: SCDAH

Source

SC Department of Archives and History

Rights

Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 4.0 License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 4.0 License

Share

COinS