Creator

James A. Neal

Preview

image preview

Location

King Street between Broad and Tadd, Charleston

City

Charleston

County

Charleston

Date of Founding

1734

Date of Photograph

1-1-2014

Description

In 1734, Benjamin Franklin sent his new partner, Lewis Timothy, to Charleston to publish The South Carolina Gazette. Two other associates Dr. Franklin sent to Charleston had died in succession. In the fall of 1736 and spring of 1737, John Wesley, the founder of world Methodism, then a young Anglican clergyman serving at Savannah, visited Timothy very near this site to complete publication of A Collection of Psalms and Hymns, the first hymnal of the Methodist movement. Source: Site marker; Placed on the UMC list of Historic Sites in 2004

Source

United Methodist Historic Site

Rights

Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 4.0 License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 4.0 License

Share

COinS