Creator

James A. Neal

Preview

image preview

Location

109 York Street, Chester

City

Chester

County

Chester

Date of Founding

1897

Date of Photograph

1-1-2014

Description

Included within Chester’s Historic District, the original church was constructed 1897 to a design by Hayden and Wheeler of Atlanta. It had three large gables with a smaller gable at the west end, the west elevation of which was faced with a recreation of the façade of the original west elevation. The earlier portion of the church has a rock-faced granite base and red pressed brick walls with rock-faced granite and red unglazed terra cotta ornament. The slate roofs have sheet-metal cornices, and there are sheet metal-roofed pinnacles. Main gable ends have large stained-glass Gothic windows flanked by smaller ones. The larger tower is four stories with an open belfry, corner pinnacle and crenellated parapet, while the smaller tower has only three stories. There are also two-story towers with crenellated parapets in the other two inside corners of the cross plan. Source: NRHP

Source

National Register of Historic Places

Rights

Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 4.0 License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 4.0 License

Share

COinS