Creator

James A. Neal

Preview

image preview

Location

Third Street, Cheraw

City

Cheraw

County

Chesterfield

Date of Founding

1832

Date of Photograph

1-1-2014

Description

Around 1736, Welsh Baptists came to South Carolina and settled in the Pee Dee region. Some sources date Welsh settlement in the Cheraw area as about 1752. In 1766, Eli Kershaw, who had been given a grant of land along the Pee Dee River, laid out the town of Cheraw. It was incorporated in 1820. Included as part of the historic district, First Methodist is a white frame meeting house in colonial style with four unfluted Doric columns supporting a portico. Source, NRHP

Source

National Register of Historic Places

Rights

Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 4.0 License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 4.0 License

Share

COinS