Creator

James A. Neal

Preview

image preview

Location

18 Gregg St., Graniteville

City

Graniteville

County

Aiken

Date of Founding

1847

Date of Photograph

1-1-2014

Description

When William Gregg began construction activity at Graniteville in 1847, he offered free building sites to religious groups if they agreed to erect churches designed by good architects. By 1849, two churches, a Baptist and a Methodist, had been completed, both of which were Early Gothic Revival in their architecture. Some years later, the Baptist church burned, but St. John remains. Designed by Charleston architect J.B. White, this westward-facing, T-shaped structure rests on red brick foundations; is of frame construction; features white-painted board and batten wall construction; has Gothic windows and door openings; and is capped with a slate-covered, steep gable roof. Today, the church – which appears to have undergone little exterior alteration – is in excellent condition and still serves its original purpose. Source: NRHP

Source

National Register of Historic Places

Rights

Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 4.0 License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 4.0 License

Share

COinS