Creator

James A. Neal

Preview

image preview

Location

East Home Avenue, Hartsville

City

Hartsville

County

Darlington

Date of Founding

1817

Date of Photograph

1-1-2014

Description

The church – organized as early as 1817 and known as “Wright’s Meeting House, Black Creek” – was the first Methodist congregation in the area. James D. Wright, an elder who was appointed “Exhorter” in 1826, preached there until his death in 1862. Damascus Methodist Church declined after 1893, when Wesley Methodist Church was founded in Hartsville. It disbanded by 1901. Source: SCDAH

Source

SC Department of Archives and History

Rights

Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 4.0 License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 4.0 License

Share

COinS