Road 28, about 1.4 miles Southeast of Lydia
Date of Founding
Date of Photograph
Established in 1789 as the “Gully Meeting House,” Wesley Chapel is one of the oldest Methodist churches in South Carolina and the oldest Methodist church in Darlington County. The first log meeting house was built half a mile north of the present church on the western bank of Boggy Gully in the western part of Darlington District, 14 miles from the courthouse on the land of Ephraim Hendrix. He was a local preacher and preached there when the circuit riders on the Great Pee Dee Circuit did not come.
SC Department of Archives and History
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 4.0 License