309 Norris Street, Edgefield
Date of Founding
Date of Photograph
Edgefield Methodism is probably as old as Edgefield. Circuit riders conducted services at Edgefield Court House in the late 1790s, and Francis Asbury recorded in his journal visits to Edgefield in October 1801 and November 1807. The first Edgefield Methodist Church was at Pottersville, one mile north of the present town limits and established about 1820. In 1831, the congregation moved closer to town, building a church on Buncombe Street near the Hansford Mims home. In 1841, Rev. Joseph Moore donated land, and a church was built where the parsonage now stands. The parsonage was on the corner of Main and Bacon Streets.
National Register of Historic Places
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License