Creator

James A. Neal

Preview

image preview

Location

Richland Ave., Aiken

City

Aiken

County

Aiken

Date of Founding

1846

Date of Photograph

1-1-2014

Description

This church has its origin in 1825 as a Methodist congregation on the Hollow Creek Circuit that predates the city of Aiken. Rev. John Reynolds was the first circuit rider serving St. John’s, which shared a minister with St. John in Graniteville until becoming a separate congregation in 1856. The first sanctuary here, a frame Greek Revival church designed by Dr. E.J.C. Wood, was built in 1857-58. The 1858 Greek Revival church was demolished in 1961-64 and replaced by the present sanctuary, a brick church designed by local architect John Weems. This church, consecrated in 1964, was built on the site of the old church cemetery. With the consent of their descendants, the persons buried there were exhumed and reburied south of the sanctuary. Their names are engraved on a marble plaque near the chapel entrance. Source: SCDAH

Source

National Register of Historic Places

Rights

Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 4.0 License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 4.0 License

Share

COinS