U.S. Highway 17A, Sampit
Date of Founding
Date of Photograph
Formally organized in 1839, Sampit had its origins in a slave mission begun in 1786 on Gov. Thomas Boone’s plantation, 3 miles southeast of the church’s current location. Rev. P.A.M. Williams became its first minister in 1840. The first church, a frame building built the same year, stood 1.5 miles south. The present sanctuary was built on a 5-acre plot donated to the church in 1887 by Benjamin D. Bourne, a member and trustee.
SC Department of Archives and History
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 4.0 License